KOPPERL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
Internet/Network Acceptable Use Policy
The KISD's AUP is a document that must be signed and kept on file for all students and employees. Parents and students must sign stating that they have read and understand this agreement.
Kopperl ISD's Internet Goal
The Kopperl ISD Internet goal is to promote innovation and educational excellence in Kopperl's public schools. To achieve this, the network must provide quality, equitable, and sought-effective information and communication resources to the public education community. Successful operation of the Internet and network requires that its users cooperate to form a world class public education in Kopperl. It is therefore imperative that members conduct themselves in a responsible, decent, ethical, and polite manner while using the network.
Kopperl ISD Acceptable Use Policy
The intent of the Kopperl Acceptable Use Policy is to ensure that all uses of the Internet and Network are consistent with its stated goal.
1. Use - Any use of Kopperl's network or the Internet for illegal, inappropriate, or obscene purposes, or in support of such activities, is prohibited. Illegal activities shall be defined as a violation of local, state, and/or federal laws. Inappropriate use shall be defined as a violation of the intended use of the network, and/or goal. Obscene activities shall be defined as a violation of generally accepted social standards for use of a publicly-owned and operated communication vehicle.
2. Privileges - The use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of those privileges. No one will be allowed to use the Internet unless supervised by a KISD employee.
3. Vandalism - Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy data of another user, Internet, or other networks that are connected to Kopperl's network. This includes, but not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses.
4. Security - Security is a high priority, especially when the system involves many users. If you can identify a security problem on the network, you must notify the Technology Coordinator. Do not demonstrate the problem to other users. Do not use another individual's account without permission. Any user identified as a security risk will have access to the network denied. Measures will also be taken to filter inappropriate Internet sites. Kopperl ISD utilizes BESS (a filtering program through ESC12) to block out inappropriate sites. The Technology Coordinator will determine what sites will be filtered.
5. Downloading - Software found on the Internet will not be downloaded by any student unless with teacher permission. This helps to prevent viruses and corrupt files from being transferred on our computers and network.
6. E-Mail - Students will not be allowed e-mail access (including hotmail, yahoo mail, etc.) on KISD computers unless authorized for class use. KISD employees may use e-mail services at their own discretion.
7. Netiquette - You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
a. Be polite. Do not get abusive in your messages to others. Hate mail, harassment, discriminatory remarks and other antisocial behaviors are prohibited on the network.
b. Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language. Illegal activities are strictly forbidden.
c. Malicious use of the network to develop programs that harass other users or infiltrate a computer or computing system and/or damage the software components of a computer or computing system is prohibited.
d. Extensive use of the network for personal and private business is prohibited.
e. Use of the network to access or process pornographic material, inappropriate text files, or files dangerous to the integrity of the local area network is prohibited.
f. The illegal installation and/or copying of copyrighted software for use on district computers is prohibited.
g. Do not reveal your personal address or phone number of students or colleagues. Users shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data, or passwords belonging to other users, or misrepresent other users on the network.
h. Note that electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. KISD employees who operate the system have access to mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to the authorities.
i. Do not use the network in such a way that is would disrupt the use of the network by other users.
j. I will not play games or use the computer resources for other non-academic activities when others require the system for academic purposes.
k. Students will not be allowed to chat in chat rooms or utilize other forms or means of chatting on the district computers.
l. Any use of the network for product advertisement or political lobbying is prohibited.
8. Violations of the rules described above will be dealt with seriously. Violators will lose computer privileges, school disciplinary action may be taken, and/or appropriate legal action may be taken.
9. Kopperl ISD makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. Kopperl School District will not be responsible for any damages you suffer. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, miss-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by its own negligence or your errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at your own risk. Kopperl School District specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
10. Web Page - Kopperl ISD will be producing a School Home Page which will be published on the Internet. All materials can be viewed via the Internet. Kopperl ISD Home Page will include Kopperl School news, PTO news, and other pertinent information regarding Kopperl ISD. Parents/Guardians must sign a release giving permission to use their child's picture and/or school work. Kopperl ISD employees must also sign the release giving permission to use information pertaining to themselves.
** For further information about the KISD AUP, please contact Robin Flores, Technology Coordinator at 254-889-3502 ext. 261 or you may email at firstname.lastname@example.org